Current time: 06-29-2014, 06:44 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOLVED: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2010 09:02 PM by wh7qq.)
SOLVED: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found
Using 2010 Acorn-1b, I am trying to install a Netgear WG111T usb wifi dongle on a compaq presario laptop (k6-2-433 with 192M RAM). I can install the two drivers (ndiswrapper -i) without a problem but when I try to do "modprobe ndiswrapper", I get the above error message. "rpm -ga | grep ndiswrapper" returns "ndiswrapper-1.55-2-unity2010."???

Paul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
RE: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found
That's not an error message. Have you tried setting up your USB connection with the System Control Center?

Please check the Release Announcement before reporting any issues!
Please read the Usage Rules before posting!
Check out the FAQ!
[Image: 12212.png?skin_name=chrome]
04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
(04-23-2010 03:47 PM)KDulcimer Wrote:  That's not an error message. Have you tried setting up your USB connection with the System Control Center?

Tried that. It loads the driver and then reports "No device supporting the athfmwdl ndiswrapper driver is present". Same response for the netwg11t driver (both required for this device). Of course I've learned over time what a lousy choice of devices I made but I have had this working with several flavors of Debian. lsusb reports the device: "Bus 001 Device 004 Netgear, Inc WG11T (no firmware)" so it is definitely on the system.

If I manually remove the drivers installed with System Control Center and reinstall using ndiswrapper -i for both drivers, then ndiswrapper -l returns"
athfmwdl : driver installed
device (1385:4251) present
netwg11t : driver installed

But I still can't install the ndiswrapper module.

Not sure I understand how the subject line isn't an error message. It is exactly what "modprobe ndiswrapper" returns. Doesn't "FATAL" generally imply an error ??? In any case, modprobe can't locate ndiswrapper to install. "insmod" returns a bit more info: "cant read 'ndiswrapper' : No such file or directory".

Paul
04-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Whoops, I meant that

(04-22-2010 10:45 PM)wh7qq Wrote:  I get the above error message. "rpm -ga | grep ndiswrapper" returns "ndiswrapper-1.55-2-unity2010."???

is not an error.

I'll forward this upstream to the Unity developers as I have no experience with ndiswrapper.

Check out the FAQ!
04-24-2010, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2010 09:35 PM by KDulcimer.)
Quote:I'll forward this upstream to the Unity developers as I have no experience with ndiswrapper.

Thanks. Some further googling brought up a reference that said that many distros are not loading the full ndiswrapper, in particular that ndiswapper-utils gets left out and that it must be compiled from source. That will be my next project and I will report my results here.

Paul
04-24-2010, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2010 11:07 PM by KDulcimer.)
(04-24-2010 08:47 PM)wh7qq Wrote:  
Quote:I'll forward this upstream to the Unity developers as I have no experience with ndiswrapper.

Thanks. Some further googling brought up a reference that said that many distros are not loading the full ndiswrapper, in particular that ndiswapper-utils gets left out and that it must be compiled from source. That will be my next project and I will report my results here.

Paul

Success!! Had to do the following:
(italicized items are done in a terminal as root)
1. smart remove ndiswrapper get rid of the old install
2. download the latest ndiswrapper tarball (ndiswrapper-xxx.tar.gz) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/
3. Place the ndiswrapper tarball in /usr/src
4. tar -xvf ndiswrapper-xxx
5. cd ndiswrapper-xxx (directory created by tar)
6. make
7. make install
8. ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf (for both drivers in the case of the wg111t)
9. ndiswrapper -l to verify the installation---should show the driver(s) and device ID
10. modprobe ndiswrapper
11. configure wlan0 in Network Center and start it up.

Whewh!!!
04-24-2010, 11:21 PM
(04-24-2010 09:51 PM)wh7qq Wrote:  
(04-24-2010 08:47 PM)wh7qq Wrote:  

Paul

Success!! Had to do the following:
(italicized items are done in a terminal as root)
1. smart remove ndiswrapper get rid of the old install
2. download the latest ndiswrapper tarball (ndiswrapper-xxx.tar.gz) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/
3. Place the ndiswrapper tarball in /usr/src
4. tar -xvf ndiswrapper-xxx
5. cd ndiswrapper-xxx (directory created by tar)
6. make
7. make install
8. ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf (for both drivers in the case of the wg111t)
9. ndiswrapper -l to verify the installation---should show the driver(s) and device ID
10. modprobe ndiswrapper
11. configure wlan0 in Network Center and start it up.

Whewh!!!

So basically, you just updated ndiswrapper? I see the current version is from way back in June and there was a release in February. I'll update it.

Check out the FAQ!
04-25-2010, 01:20 AM
RE: SOLVED: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found
ndiswrapper 1.56 has been built and will probably hit the test section of the repos within 24 hours.

Check out the FAQ!
04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
it looks like dkms-ndiswrapper was never installed on the system. This is the ndiswrapper kernel module.
07-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello there..
wifi on linux was working fine. I booted into linux after several months. Got this same error. I just used make and make install for ndiswrapper and it worked fine. I wanted to know exactly what went wrong there? I'm using ndiswrapper-1.56