Current time: 12-18-2014, 11:25 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why not base TinyMe on The Core Project?
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Why not base TinyMe on The Core Project?
I used to have TinyMe on my computer but I'm now a big fan of Tiny Core Linux. It would be awesome if TinyMe was based on The Core Project too!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
RE: Why not base TinyMe on The Core Project?
I'm simply not familiar with the Core project. I can build RPMs, but familiarizing myself with a completely different system isn't on my list of priorities at the moment. Somewhere on my list is finding out how they reduce their binary size.

Please check the Release Announcement before reporting any issues!
Please read the Usage Rules before posting!
Check out the FAQ!
[Image: 12212.png?skin_name=chrome]
03-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Ain't gonna happen.
03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
In my opinion, both Tiny Core and TinyMe need to define "tiny".

Even more important, in this "new" era of flash memory, with thumb drives of 4 GBytes as common as the old, 1.44 MByte floppy disks, one wonders why "tiny" is important or useful. CD's and DVD's are dinosaurs.

To me, the better OS is the one that is FAST, i.e. wholly resident in memory, and CONVENIENT to install and COMPREHENSIVE in terms of applications.

To facilitate installation, a SMALL size is fine, but, even better is an intelligent program, operating during the downloading process, to interrogate the user, so that hundreds of unwanted programs are not installed by default. Network installation, not CDROM installation, ought to be the default.

Whether Tiny Core, or TinyMe, or Puppy, or anything else: Distributions which deploy a FIXED dimension ("one size fits all") for the download, are by definition, offering an OS to the user, which has been defined not in terms of the user's needs, but in terms of the developer's imagination of what the user needs. This model, so effective in the 1990's, is today, as obsolete as floppy disks.

To be successful, in 2012, a Linux distribution needs a repository offering complete multimedia support. If TinyMe relies instead, on a proprietary source as repository, it will soon encounter headwinds....

CAI ENG
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, apparently somebody doesn't know that computing exists in 3rd world countries...

Please check the Release Announcement before reporting any issues!
Please read the Usage Rules before posting!
Check out the FAQ!
[Image: 12212.png?skin_name=chrome]